Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Welcome to The Uncorked Cellar user forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Barcode Scanner (Read 2326 times)
alobartn

Uncork User
Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Re: Barcode Scanner
Reply #9 - 10/24/08 at 14:17:34

Thanks for the reply. I eagerly await the tags I ordered last week.

Adam

IP Logged

Uncork Support
Administrator

The Uncorked Cellar
Uncork
Reply #8 - 10/23/08 at 22:26:41

If the winery name is displayed when you erase the last few digist of the barcode, this means that we list barcodes for other wines from this producer - but not this specific wine (or vintage if they are one of the few wineries who provide different barcodes for different vintages)

Unfortunately this means that you have enter that wine manually. You should also scan its barcode at this stage, then when you want to uncork this wine (or add another bottle of the same wine), the program will recognize it. The Uncorked Cellar has a means for everyone to help us increase the number of barcodes we list (Tools, Add to the Uncork Dayabase), so with your help we will significantly increase the number of wines with bar codes in the database.

Unfortunately, this is not the only problem with wine bar codes.

The second and more serious limitation is that the bar code on the bottle normally does not define the vintage - AND in some cases may be a different number depending on what country the wine is sold in. This means the bar code on the bottle cannot be used for inventory control. It also leads to situations where a bar code on the bottle may not match what we list in the database.

To use bar codes for inventory control, you should either print your own labels or tags, or use the pre-printed tags we provide. On the bright side, this means that you will have better inventory control because each bottle can have it's one unique number. This is what I do in my cellar and I cannot emphasize enough how much easier it makes the task of uncorking wines from my cellar. When I remove a bottle from my cellar, I simply take the tag off the neck and place it to one side, then scan all of those tags the next time I am at my computer to manage my cellar inventory.

Uncork Support
The Uncorked Cellar
www.uncork.biz
IP Logged

alobartn

Uncork User
Reply #7 - 10/23/08 at 13:39:41

H'mm. It seems to work some of the time. On two bottles the number produced no results until I erased a few digits on the right, then it populated the winery name. On a couple of others it worked fine. Just a glitch?

Adam

IP Logged

Uncork Support
Administrator

The Uncorked Cellar
Uncork
Reply #6 - 10/22/08 at 22:06:16

Try going to the "Add wine to Cellar" page, and scanning the barcode there to see if that works.

Uncork Support
The Uncorked Cellar
www.uncork.biz
IP Logged

alobartn

Uncork User
Reply #5 - 10/22/08 at 19:41:31

I too have a third party scanner. When using "Add Wines By Scanning the Barcode" window, the correct digits are displayed in the "Bottle Barcode" field (as they are in text documents), but the error message states that no wine is found with that barcode. However, when I enter the identical digits manually, the correct winery is listed. Any ideas would be most appreciated!

Adam

Adam

IP Logged

Uncork Support
Administrator

The Uncorked Cellar
Uncork
Reply #4 - 03/22/08 at 03:45:12

Stephen reports....

"I have tried using a Symbol scanner with an XP machine and it works like a charm, provided the database has the wine/barcode listed"

Uncork Support
The Uncorked Cellar
www.uncork.biz
IP Logged

Uncork Support
Administrator

The Uncorked Cellar
Uncork
Reply #3 - 03/19/08 at 11:12:15

You are correct - the UPC code is just a number encoded a standard way.

To confirm that the problem is indeed that scanner cannot read the barcode properly, open up word or some other text editor and scan a barcode -  the upc number should be displayed in the document.

If it does not display a number, you have a problem with the scanner.

Uncork Support
The Uncorked Cellar
www.uncork.biz
IP Logged

austinag86

Uncork User
usa
Reply #2 - 03/19/08 at 04:21:03

We already had the scanner and do not consider a pricetag of over $500 to be a cheap model.  UPC codes are of a standard language, so expected this to work with the software.  The curvature of the bottle could be causing the problem, though.

Thanks for the reply.

IP Logged

Uncork Support
Administrator

The Uncorked Cellar
Uncork
Reply #1 - 03/18/08 at 23:20:57

Naturally we can only support the scanner we provide, but I know some users have used other third party scanners.

We found many of the cheaper scanners would not scan some barcodes properly - particularly those going around the bottle, or on textured labels. I suggest you return the scanner to where you purchased it and ask for your money back.

(Uncork provides a 100% satisfaction or your money back guarantee on everything we sell)

Uncork Support
The Uncorked Cellar
www.uncork.biz
IP Logged

austinag86

Uncork User
usa
Barcode Scanner
03/18/08 at 15:47:36

Just purchased Uncorked Cellar software and getting to inventory our wine.  We already had a barcode scanner, however, we have been unable to get it to work with the software.  Anyone else have any success with using a barcode scanner that was not purchased with the software?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print