Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Welcome to The Uncorked Cellar user forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trouble with cellar after moving laptops (Read 879 times)
UncorkSupport
Administrator

The Uncorked Cellar
Uncork
Re: Trouble with cellar after moving laptops
Reply #3 - 05/10/08 at 11:47:09

Hi Matt

I would make a note of where you have your cellar, then re-install The Uncorked Cellar so that the program creates the correct cellar folders.

Then,

1. open the cellar that you transferred from the XP location.
2. Use the menu command "Cellar, Set Cellar folder to Factor Default"
3. Save your cellar to the NEW folder by using the menu command "Cellar, Save Cellar As"

Brian

Uncork Support
The Uncorked Cellar
www.uncork.biz
IP Logged

MDMD
Beta User

Uncork User

Reply #2 - 05/10/08 at 09:49:01

Thanks!  Appreciate the speed response.

Some transactions were saved, some not.

I half followed the rules - I copied all files from the cellaes directory in XP to the new one in vista, rather than exporting and importing.

I have since added the missing wine, closed down the laptop a few times and been OK.

Do I need to revert to original XP computer, and export and import as describes

IP Logged

Uncork

Uncork Sales

Reply #1 - 05/10/08 at 05:09:40

That particular warning is primarily for multi user use across a network, so it indicates that your cellar was open when you shut down your laptop, or that you have your cellar in the wrong path. If you simply copied a mirror of the folders from XP to Vista this will lead to problems because Vista does not allow programs to write to the programs folder - and will in fact actively PREVENT it.

Open the cellar again - and check that your most recent transactions have been saved.

If they have not, the most likely cause is that you have not migrated from XP to Vista properly.
To migrate from Xp to Vista, you should install a new version on your Vista Machine, then transfer your cellar by following the steps in the help under "How do I... Transfer My Cellar To Another PC"

(Try searching for a file the same name as your cellar name using Windows Explorer and check the dates - you may find Vista has saved it somewhere else. In this case, copy that file to the new Vista path - see the help under whats-new for the Vista paths)

The Uncorked Cellar - Vintage cellar management&&www.uncork.biz
IP Logged

MDMD
Beta User

Uncork User

Trouble with cellar after moving laptops
05/10/08 at 04:34:22

I just purchased a new laptop as the old one was dying.  I thought I had successfully reloaded your softward amd copied my cellars over.  A quick check of the contents looked OK and all history was there.

I have just spent 6 hours updating my cellar physically as well as virtually, closed down the software and then shut down the laptop.  30 mins later i restarted the laptop, it told me it is already open but in my user name (I only have one user name on Vista!).  If I open the cellar I may lose all my changes.

What do I do?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print