Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Welcome to The Uncorked Cellar user forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to copy files onto shared drive for full use. (Read 2394 times)
Uncork Support
Administrator

The Uncorked Cellar
Uncork
Re: How to copy files onto shared drive for full u
Reply #10 - 11/14/08 at 20:18:57

Hi Mark

You can continue to copy your images to both PC's, but if you create a folder where both PC's have the same path, future images need only be copied to the one folder.

If you are happy to copy the images to both PC's, this will of course be simpler as you do not have to worry about mapping your drives.

OK?

Uncork Support
The Uncorked Cellar
www.uncork.biz
IP Logged

ml3456
Beta User

Uncork User
Chicago, IL USA
Reply #9 - 11/14/08 at 17:24:50

On a previous post you said to store my existing files from my laptop (computer name laptop) into the same folder name and location on my desktop (computer name desktop though!). In the last post you said share drive. I'm confused.  I do not want to scan and update all the fields of my existing data onto my desktop which will serve as a server for future files.

thanks, mark

IP Logged

Uncork Support
Administrator

The Uncorked Cellar
Uncork
Reply #8 - 11/11/08 at 03:52:56

Yes, you have it correct.

The computers having differet names will not have any effect provided your shared drive is mapped to a drive letter.

Uncork Support
The Uncorked Cellar
www.uncork.biz
IP Logged

ml3456
Beta User

Uncork User
Chicago, IL USA
Reply #7 - 11/11/08 at 03:38:41

Thanks. So if my existing is located in the My pictures folder, copy the images into the same My pictures folder on the on the second machine. After this anything else use the share drive for images mapped into Uncorked Cellar. Correct?  Will the computers having different names make a differnence, i.e Den Computer vs, My Laptop computer?

ML

IP Logged

Uncork Support
Administrator

The Uncorked Cellar
Uncork
Reply #6 - 11/11/08 at 01:27:11

The image location is embedded in the cellar file, which is why I suggested you may want to store your existing images to the same folder on your second PC, then save all future images on a shared folder.

Unfortunately, there is no single INI setting you can change to do this.

Uncork Support
The Uncorked Cellar
www.uncork.biz
IP Logged

ml3456
Beta User

Uncork User
Chicago, IL USA
Reply #5 - 11/11/08 at 01:08:28

Does it make a difference if I save the file as a csv file and restore it on a different machine vs. copying the files to the shared drive. I looks like all links the the photos ans scans has disappeared. Is there a modification to a ini file that I can make to tell the program where to look?

Thanks, mark

IP Logged

ml3456
Beta User

Uncork User
Chicago, IL USA
Reply #4 - 11/11/08 at 00:56:30

Pretty quick reply!! Thanks

Will the program now that the location of the files changed when I move the files, or do I need to redirect the program to find them the first time I restart the program after relocating the saved images on the shared drive.

Thanks again for the prompt response.

IP Logged

Uncork Support
Administrator

The Uncorked Cellar
Uncork
Reply #3 - 11/11/08 at 00:07:07

Your image files will also need to be placed on a shared folder - or copied to both PC.

The Cellar file stores a link to the file, so you may want to copy your existing image folder to both PC,s then save new images to a shared folder so that both PC's can see the same file.

OK?

Uncork Support
The Uncorked Cellar
www.uncork.biz
IP Logged

ml3456
Beta User

Uncork User
Chicago, IL USA
Reply #2 - 11/11/08 at 00:00:53

Thanks very much. How do I get the program to look at my image files?  I can copy the folder onto each computer or better yet but it on the shared drive, but how do I get the program on each computer to look at it?

Thanks, Mark

IP Logged

Uncork Support
Administrator

The Uncorked Cellar
Uncork
Reply #1 - 11/10/08 at 03:42:05

Simply save your cellar to a shared folder using the menu command "Cellar, Save Cellar As...  " and select a network folder that both PC's can see.

Settings such as customized fields are local to your PC, so you will have to re-create these on your second PC.

OK?

Uncork Support
The Uncorked Cellar
www.uncork.biz
IP Logged

ml3456
Beta User

Uncork User
Chicago, IL USA
How to copy files onto shared drive for full use.
11/10/08 at 01:22:26

Like others, I now wish to have Uncorked Cellar on two computers in my house. But how,and what, files do I save on the shared drive (not he computer that was originally used to set up my cellar!) so that my customized fields and images I have saved to show the bottle labels on my cellar pages show up on both computers? Actually, the first time I copied files it un-registered my copy of uncorked cellar!

Help Appreciated.  Mark

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print