Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Welcome to The Uncorked Cellar user forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Functionalities available in Cellar Mode (Read 1151 times)
RDavidP
Ex Member

Re: Functionalities available in Cellar Mode
Reply #2 - 02/25/11 at 23:27:28

Thank you.  Since I can use the scanner for both uncorking and pulling up the information that I entered in about the wine, I will definitely be ordering the bar code scanner and neck tags to start off with.  I know what you mean about pulling the next tags off and setting aside to uncork later, as most people throw the empty bottles away.  Since I make my own, I reuse my bottles and can just scan the small stick on bar code labels later.  Also since I make well over 200 bottles of wine a year, for the quantity the small stick on bar code labels are cheaper than the neck tags.

IP Logged

UncorkSupport
Administrator

The Uncorked Cellar
Uncork
Re: Functionalities available in Cellar Mode
Reply #1 - 02/25/11 at 22:58:50

As you will primarily be using The Uncorked Cellar for wines you make, Cellar Mode will suit your needs unless you want to save your cellar as a web cellar (Web Cellars are only available in Full Mode and allow you to view your wines from the internet)

Even during the trial you can see Cellar mode in action via the menu command "Mode, Cellar Mode"

Commercial bar codes on bottles normally do not define the vintage so even using these you always have to at least enter the vintage manually. This also means the bar code on the bottle cannot be used for inventory control.

You should either print your own labels or tags, or use the pre-printed tags we provide. This will allow you to...

a) display the information abot the wine by pressing the clear buton, then scanning the barcode
b) use the barcode on the tag to uncork the specific bottle of wine, no matter where you have located it in your virtual rack.

This is what I do in my cellar and I cannot emphasize enough how much easier it makes the task of uncorking wines from my cellar. When I remove a bottle from my cellar, I simply take the tag off the neck and place it to one side, then scan all of those tags the next time I am at my computer to manage my cellar inventory.

Uncork Support
The Uncorked Cellar
www.uncork.biz
IP Logged

RDavidP
Ex Member

Functionalities available in Cellar Mode
02/25/11 at 19:53:42

I am currently running the evaluation version of Uncork, and have decided I will most likely buy the Cellar Mode version.  I am curious about what functionality is available/not available for Cellar Mode.  I know it does not have the Wine Guide and "Add Wine" tab.  This is fine with me because after entering all of my bottles of wine into the software and running some reports, I found out I have a total of 342 bottles of wine.  Of this total, 10 bottles are from commercial wineries, 5 bottles were wine made by friends and given to me, and the rest of the 327 bottles is wine I have made.  Yes I have been quite busy.  Since the wine in my cellar is homemade, I have to enter all the information any way.  As for the 10 commercial bottles, I had to hand type most of the information in as they were not in the database, and I seldom buy wine.  The winery may be listed but the specific label and wine wasn't.  The main functionality I am curious about then would be the bar code reader.  Does that function in the Cellar Mode only version?  I know for commercial wines, the bar code reader can be used to automatically enter a wine, and also used for "uncorking" a bottle. I would mostly be using it along with the barcode labels you offer for "uncorking".  Does the bar code reader serve any other function than entering or uncorking, such as scanning the tag and pulling up the wine information while the software is running?  Say I have the bottle of wine in my hand, and someone asks me a question about it, I can just scan the barcode that was created and quickly display the wine on the screen.

So far Uncorked is the only cellar management software I have used as an evaluation, but as a home wine maker I love the software and don't see a need to try anything else out.  There are plenty of user editable fields, and I especially love the Winemakers Notes tab.  I put alot of information there such as when fermentation was started, temperature, starting brix, finishing brix, bulk ageing time, bottling date, basically my brew log.  The other user notes are then used for tasting notes and such.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print